The second confirmed case of coronavirus in sub-Saharan Africa has emerged in Senegal, sparking fears that the virus could spread quickly and affect business.
Nervousness blazed across Senegalese social media Monday after authorities reported a Frenchman living in the Senegalese city of Almadies tested positive to Coronavirus.
Coronavirus continues to spread across the globe, beyond China where the outbreak began. Last week, the head of the World Health Organisation (WHO), Dr. Tedros Ghebreyesus, said the disease has reached a ‘decisive point and has a pandemic potential’ due to the manner in which it is spreading.
However, last week, Gambian health officials projected confidence as they sought to calm fears. “We have got a lot of personal protective equipment and just yesterday we received another consignment of personal protective equipment and we also protect our healthcare workers that are dealing with the potential threats just in case there is a threat,” Dr. Amadou Samateh, Gambian minister of health told The Chronicle.
More than 83,000 cases have been confirmed in 50 countries, officials say, and more than 2,800 people have died. Although 36,000 patients have recovered, WHO officials have expressed concern the disease could overwhelm countries across Africa and South America.
The Chronicle is following developments and we will keep you posted.